This page lists resources categorized by the statement you most need to hear right now.
You have not failed.
- Leaving the Ivory Tower. Although higher education asserts that people who leave graduate school before completing the PhD do so because they couldn’t measure up, Lovitts argues, on the basis of extensive surveys and interviews, that the structures of disciplines, institutions, and departments create obstacles to staying that have nothing to do with intelligence, ability, or likely success. It’s not you, it’s them — really.
You are not alone.
Listservs, forums, message boards, and other social networking sites:
- WRK4US, a listserv for post-academics.
- Leaving Academe forum at the Chronicle of Higher Education
- Ning social networking site at Leaving Academia
There are excellent opportunities beyond the academy.
- What Color Is Your Parachute? 2010: A Practical Manual for Job-Hunters and Career-Changers
- So What Are You Going to Do With That?: A Guide for M.A.s and Ph.D.s Seeking Careers Outside the Academy
- Making a Living Without a Job: Winning Ways For Creating Work That You Love
- Finding Your Own North Star: Claiming the Life You Were Meant to Live
There are lots of resources to answer practical questions about job applications and improving my skills.
- Personal MBA: Comprehensive site dedicated to teaching interested learners everything they need to succeed at work and life.
- The Accounting Game: Learn accounting by running a fictional lemonade stand. Hilarious and helpful.